Thursday, April 12, 2012

What did you notice this time around about the characters?


This time, I noticed how the characters’ individual flaws stood out a lot more than when I originally read the book. I found that Gatsby appeared more desperate to me, most likely because I already knew what would happen in the end. At the end of the book after Daisy declares her love for Tom, Gatsby still refused to accept it: “he wouldn’t consider it. He couldn’t possibly leave Daisy until he knew what she was going to do. He was clutching at some last hope and [Nick] couldn’t bear to shake him free” (Fitzgerald 155).” Poor guy. Knowing that his love for Daisy would ultimately cause his demise made me take pity on him through out the book. During my first read, I initially was excited for Gatsby when him and Daisy reconnect. However, this time I felt sorry for him, since I knew that it wouldn’t last. 

3 comments:

  1. Your perspective is so interesting because you mention how knowing the ending changes your anticipations while reading the story for a second time. Now that I think about it, I agree that when first reading The Great Gatsby you're almost hoping that Gatsby will find happiness and be able to be with Daisy. Once we know about their disconnection we are inclined to remember that his efforts lead to failure. Clearly you had a different impression of the main character this time around and I think that's why you noticed his flaws easily. In To Kill A Mockingbird I generally understood the roles that each character had. Reading it a second time, I knew to read Atticus' advice for his children while keeping in mind that he puts himself at risk for a black man later in the story. Just like you said, knowing the story can cause you to see the character a different way during the reread.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Noticing a characters flaws the second time around is a great way to better understand their intentions and personalities. It sounds like you felt pity for him much earlier in the book, since you knew his efforts would ultimately result in nothing as he doesn't reunite with Daisy. In my book, I knew my main character, Bromden would escape to freedom from the lifeless mental hospital. My knowing he would escape comforted me and made me feel slightly less pity, as I knew the book would end well for him.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also pity Gatsby. Gatsby is a true tragic character; he is a perfect example of Aristotle's definition of a tragic character. Aristotle wrote that a tragic character must evoke both pity and fear. Above, you explained why we pity Gatsby - he is so desperate to hold onto the "green light" that is Daisy. Gatsby also evokes fear. Gatsby shows us that the American dream is not possible. Millions of Americans hold onto the belief that their is always the possibilty of a better life. In this story, Gatsby seems to have achieved the American dream when we first meet him - he is incredibly wealthy, people flock to him, and he has left his poor farmer roots behind. However, it is soon revealed that he is still not satisfied. Finally, in the end of the book Gatsby's tragic death reveals that no matter how much you gain in life you are still under the manipulative hands of the aristocracy. Therefore, Gatsby also evokes fear because his death reveals the grotesque underside of the American dream.

    ReplyDelete